Sunday, June 26, 2011

Tenderizor- Touch the Sword

A video made up of GIF images deserves a review composed from snippets of movie dialogue. I added words here and there to allow for continuity, otherwise these are lines from the scripts of several movies: American Psycho, High Fidelity, Empire Records, Almost Famous and many more.





                                      Touch the Sword - Tenderizor from Brian Fejer on Vimeo.



Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to violence, the word and the act. The dream is always the same,
we were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. 

Tenderizor was playing, something horrible was happening and yet I couldn't figure out why; I couldn't put my finger on it. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip. I try and focus on the music, "Touch the Sword" It's a hit. we've got a hit. I can feel it. The song is extremely uplifting. The lyrics are as positive and affirmative as, uh, anything I've heard in rock. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument, it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself. 

There are people who want to write sanctimonious stories about the genius of the rock stars, and they will ruin rock and roll and strangle everything we love about it. Great art is about guilt and longing and, you know, love disguised as sex, and sex disguised as love. It's like pissing in the wind, you have to ask yourself, Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music? Am I happy? Well, I don't know. I'm happy as the next man, I guess. 

You still don't get it, do you?" I need Tenderizor to, shock me, shock me, shock me with that deviant behavior!  Shock me with your ever growing collection of flesh mutilating silver appendages and  brand new hipster-Nazi boot camp makeovers. Is it in fact unfair to criticize a formerly great artist for his latter day sins... (Bob Dylan for instance) If you don't wanna hear old sad bastard music anymore, if you just want something you can ignore, something you can love and hate with equal abandon, something that jumps on your back and tries to violate you...then this will do quite nicely.